About IIT Institute
Studying in an IIT or Indian Institute of Technology is the first thing that every
ambitious engineering aspirant can think of in India. IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT
Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee are the seven IITs
in India that are also termed as National Institutes of Importance. Set up under
the Institutes of Technology Act, 1963, IITs are statutory bodies. The central administration
of the IITs is looked after by the IIT Council. IITc Council is the apex body which
is headed by the Human Resource Department of Indian Government.
Development of IITs
The foundation for the IITs in India was laid in 1946 by the Executive Council of
Viceroy, Sir Jogendra Singh.
- The main aim was to develop a technical structure to aid the industrial development
in the country.
- On May 1950, the first Indian Institute of Technology was set up in Kharagpur.
- By 1961 four more such institutes were established in Mumbai, Kanpur, Chennai and
- IIT Guwahati was established in 1994.
- In 2001, University of Roorkee was granted IIT status. This formed the seventh campus
of the IITs in India.
IIT Institute in India