About IIT Kaharagpur
The first Indian Institute of technology was born in may 1950 in Hijli , Kharagpur,
in the eastern part of India. The present name, Indian Institute of Technology'
was adopted before the formal inauguration of the institute on August 18, 1951,
by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. on sept 15, 1956, the parliament of India passed an
act known as the Indian Institute of Technology [ Kharagpur] . Act declaring this
institute as an Institute of national importance. The Institute was also given the
status of an autonomous University from this modest start in 1950 IIT Kharagpur
has been engaged in a steady process of development with about 18 academic department,
five centres of excellence.
On March 1952, Pt. Nehru laid the foundation stone of the new building. The layout
of the present campus and the design of the building were carried out by a host
of engineers and architects under the guidance of an eminent Swiss architect Dr.
Werner M. Mosir. The vast tree-laden campus, spreading the 2100 acres has a self-contained
township of over 15000 inhabitants.
For more information about IITJEE exams Kharagpur visithttp://www.iitkgp.ernet.in
( Information taken from authentic information brochure.)